Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Fudge Pie for Home Ec.

(My Home Ec. book :D )
 
This week, for Home Ec. I was to bake a pie.
 I don't normally bake pies, cookie's are usually more my thing, so I wasn't really sure what kind to make. I like chocolate and my sister's haven't been able to find a recipe for a fudge pie that held it's shape.
 I'm pretty sure I found one, as long as you put it in the refrigerator, which I didn't do until I after we had tasted it. But the rest of the pie held it's shape once it was cold!


 I got the recipe from my oldest sister's Cowboy Cookbook, and seemed to work. Only, it said it made two pies, so I baked two crusts, but I soon realized that the filling was only enough for one. So, I put it all into one crust. I ran into another problem when I made the meringue; though their was only enough filling for one pie, there was plenty of meringue for two pies! So, my pie had a lot of meringue! So, if you make this, it might be smart of you cut the meringue in half. (Unless, of course, if you like a lot of meringue ;)


Fudge Pie
One Baked Pie Crust
 
Filling:
2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour or cornstarch (I used cornstarch)
3 tbsp. cocoa
2 c. milk
5 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
 Meringue:
5 egg Whites
1 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. sugar
 
 
Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the first four ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over moderate heat until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minute. Stir half of the mixture into egg yolks, then blend egg mixture into the hot mixture in the saucepan. Add butter and vanilla and boil until very thick. Pour into baked crust. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold in sugar and cream of tartar. Place meringue on pie and bake until brown.


 
 

Hope you enjoy!
~Daminika

5 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention that I made it with Almond Milk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! Sorry I never tasted it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. I don't remember when you made it though?! :P

    ReplyDelete